Saturday, April 19, 2008

The Season Begins.

It has been absolutely beautiful here for the past couple of days. This means two things in the restaurant business (or at least where I work).

#1 - The freaks start coming out of the woodwork (where have these people been hiding/eating all winter?)

#2 - People start going crazy with the re-fills.

I honestly don't know where they all came from, but last night was an absolute collection of freaks and weirdos. Snotty and demanding they waited until late into the dinner shift to start showing up and set us on a wait. At least we eventually got the hit, but there's something about waiting around all night to finally get tables that just starts to set you off.

It's one of those instances where you're basically all ready to just write the night off as a slow night, get cut, and have a few drinks before heading home. Somehow, as soon as you get the "I just want to get cut," idea into your head, people start flooding the host stand.

Another thing the warmer weather brings, as I mentioned before, are people taking advantage of the endless re-fills most places offer. I'm going to preface this by saying that I actually have no problem working in a restaurant that offers endless re-fills. It gives me a chance to increase my tips. You'd be surprised how many people can't believe that you thought of bringing them a re-fill before they even ask for it, and I love doing that. It saves me a trip later, keeps the guest happy and increases your tip because they know you're paying attention to them but not hovering over them, it can be a win/win most of the time.

The other side of this, of course, are the people who drink their soft drinks and water as if they've been stranded in the desert for the past month with nothing to drink but their own urine. Always waving that fucking finger in the air, or showing you the empty glass. I really don't expect them to understand that I have other tables (what do they care?), but I do however, expect them to understand that I'm there to help them as needed, not in excess. Downing that drink at an unreasonable speed is your problem, not mine, I just brought you a refill less than 3 minutes ago. I always have an eye on my tables, and I'm always bringing them what they need (most of the time) before they even need it in a reasonable amount of time. If you're drinking at the rate that requires extra attention from me, if you're drinking at a quicker than normal pace which requires me to go out of my way for you, don't be surprised if you wind up having to wait for your drinks.

I'm here to help you at a normal rate, I'm not here to go out of my way or fun myself ragged for your excessive needs and I will not allow myself to.

I understand it's hot, I understand you're thirsty, understand that I have a job to do and I will get to you when I can.

No comments: