Tuesday, April 22, 2008

I was absolutely raging on Sunday. I am usually very good at holding my composure, but it was honestly one thing after another after another after another.

We opened early for a private party. It had nothing to do with us servers, but it adds stress to set up to have customers putzing around, asking us where the restroom is.

My first table decides to argue with me about the carbonation (or lack thereof) in his fountain soda. I have been down this road before, sir. It's not that there's no carbonation, it's because it's fucking fountain soda. Enough with the dramatics and stressing to me how "horrible" it is. Order something else and get off my back. I care very little if you're impressed with our soda.

A few tables later was the lanky, outspoken gentleman (on some sort of drug and alcohol bender) with his mother who was sat at the very same table (Isn't it something how that always happens? It's like the table is jinxed for the day!). The man wanted a carbomb and his mother wanted an iced tea, no food, in the middle of a family restaurant with children everywhere. Said man winds up getting kicked out for cursing himself out in front of children. I know it sounds like I got something wrong there, but that's what happened. The guy cursed himself out. Can this day get any better?

A little while after that was an extremely friendly family who had one man translating for everyone since no one spoke english. I smelled trouble but brushed it off. In addition to the four meals they ate in house, they ordered four *to-go* as well. The tab was $88 and they gave me a very generous $6 tip.

It was just one of those days where everything weird keeps happening, tips are minimal, and it seems the fates are testing your sanity threshold.

Add this to the fact that I was the closer and received 3 brand new tables (one of which was an incomplete party) at 5 minutes to closing. I came so close to losing it, sometimes I thank God that I have good friends at work to talk me down from the edge.

No comments: