Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Introductions

I figure I might as well get started.

The purpose of this blog, is to offer me a place to vent freely about what has been a big part of my life for the past ten years.

Being in the restaurant business has been both a blessing and a curse for me. I started being hired as a hostess for a chain restaurant when I was 18 and had absolutely no idea what I wanted to do with my life and future. The restaurant environment allowed me to break out of my shell, socialize, and put a ton of life experience under my belt. I was trained as a server and really started to learn about human behavior, while making a lot of money (a lot more than other people my age who were still in school).

The blessing is that no matter how many times I strayed from the biz, it always welcomed me back with open arms and a lot of money.

The curse is that the money I have made in my years of waitressing has in some ways allowed the years to go by very quickly and here I am, ten years later, still waiting tables, wondering where all the time went.

The thing I do love the most about this business is the person it has made me. Witnessing social dysfunction on a daily basis really helps you learn how to and how not to act in a public setting. It has also taught me how to have a thick skin and to let things roll off of my back when they're extremely unimportant.

These will be my personal experiences in this field, and life in general. I want to use this to be a place to vent that I do not have to censor in fear of my co-workers or bosses seeing it. The names will be changed because I'm a paranoid bastard sometimes, but the stories will be real.

Love,

Red-Headed Waitress

No comments: